Moreton Bay Rail Link
Value of project
$500M - $1B
Design and construction of a new 12.6km rail line and associated infrastructure.
Moreton Bay Rail Link will deliver a new heavy rail passenger rail line between Petrie and Kippa-Ring, including six new stations at Kallangur, Murrumba Downs, Mango Hill, Mango Hill East, Rothwell and Kippa-Ring.
The Moreton Bay Rail Link will significantly improve public transport in the area providing an incentive for people to switch from private vehicles to public transport. This will in turn free up capacity on the road network for journeys that can not be made using public transport.
The Moreton Bay Rail Link will:
- provide a more reliable, economical, and faster alternative to driving to Brisbane’s Central Business District during peak periods
- help reduce congestion on the road network, including the Bruce Highway, and free up capacity for journeys that can not be made using public transport
- provide sustainable and active transport options that reduce carbon emissions — every full train on the new line will take about 600 cars off the road
- provide better access to major employment centres both within and outside the Moreton Bay region
- help attract investment to the area and create business opportunities, and
- act as a catalyst for growth along the alignment, with stations becoming hubs of new development in the region.
Government agency - Department of Transport & Main Roads
For more information contact:
Moreton Bay Rail Link Project Team
230 Brunswick Street
Fortitude Valley Qld 4006
Disclaimer: The Commonwealth of Australia (acting through the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development) makes this material available on the understanding that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to its use. Read more